OpenLCD is a Atmel AVR ATmega168 based LCD controller which can be interfaced using Serial (user specifiyable baud rate and RS232 compatible), SPI and I²C protocols.
I decided to create this as the existing LCD controllers were rather limited and expensive.
OpenLCD has been designed with the following features:
- Cheap - A board can be made for under $10
- Flexible - It can be reprogrammed and upgraded easily and can be used with a variety of LCDs
- Breadboard Compatible - It fits in a wide DIP16 footprint so it is easy to use with a socket, a breadboard or even just wires
- Small - Its only 1.6" by 0.7" or 40mm by 18mm
- Simple - It consists of three transistors, two capacitors, five resistors and a ATmega168
- Powerful - It will support features like automated tickering of text and animation with simple interfaces
- Easy - Libraries for Arduino will be created to make it as easy as possible to interface with it
- Compatible - It will support any standard HD44780 compatible LCD
If you are interested in OpenLCD please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the current Eagle files from OpenLCD's Project Page.
Here are 3d renderings of the board so far: